3.14.2010

The Greatest Reception Ever

After a getaway to Florida to get hitched, plus a seven day cruise and two more days of exploring southern Florida, we had a reception back home for our family and friends to celebrate our hitched-ness. The planning was probably my favorite part - I wanted something people didn't dread going to, that was very Ryan-and-Katie-esque, and something that no one else does. So, I'll tell you all about it.

For starters, it was at Camp St. Croix in Hudson, Wisc. On a Y-camp training, I discovered their lodge had been beautifully re-done and the grounds were excellent. Granted this was a Valentine's Day reception and there was snow on the ground, so it was a different picture than I had seen last summer. I dubbed the theme to be "choose your own adventure."

Activities included sledding, broomball, and indoor board games by the fire. The camp cooked both vegetable and meat lasagna, plus salad and green beans at a very reasonable price. It was picnic table style dining, so everything was decorated with Valentine's Day decor.

The dessert was my own spectacular idea - see, I'm known at work for blurting out cooking and make-your-own dish days at my choice of a day to plan. So, to fit the theme of choose your own adventure, I made two different kinds of cupcakes, two kinds of frosting, then a huge assortment of toppings (gummi bears, sprinkles, oreos, butterscotch chips, m & ms, etc.). Wah-lah, make your own cupcake.
It was excellent. It was pretty cheap. We had a photographer last minute so I didn't have to worry about capturing the moments. Lots of family and friends, and lots of fun!

No comments: