3.24.2009

Youth sports

The Pioneer Press is doing a series of front pages articles about youth sports called "a generation on the sidelines." I've been following it, and find it interesting.

Read the latest here

I think it's sad but true - you need money to excel in sports. When you're looking at raw talent in a sport, I don't think financial status matters too much. However, wealthy families can send their kids to fancy hockey camps, play year-round and have better equipment to play the game.

I guess that's one reason I really like the YMCA - they are determined to not turn any families away from being able to use the pool, workout, play sports or go to camp. Every kid should have the right to be active and learn to play with other children, and every adult should have the chance to workout and socialize.

1 comment:

Grand Forks said...

Are you serious? I was always under the impression that YMCA memberships were the most expensive gym memberships EVER.